Monday, February 23, 2009

My Buddy Oscar



I did it again .... stayed up too late on "Oscar Night"... can't help it, I love movies, old ones, new ones, mysteries, comedies & love stories. It doesn't matter if I watch them at home on a DVD, on HBO or at the local multiplex ... I'm addicted. I'll yell at the bad guys , cheer for the good guys and go through a box of kleenex if it's a tear jerker. For most of my favorites I can still remember where I saw it & who I was with that first time. Here are just a few of my favorites, with a few honorable mentions too.

1. The Godfather 2. Godfather Part 2
Great cast & few movies that are as good if not better than the book.... by the way Mario Puzo wrote both the screenplay & the book.

3. Gone With the Wind (I loved when Scarlett O'Hara makes herself a dress out of a pair of curtains when she was looking for a new man!)
4. A Few Good Men (while many will argue that 12 Angry Men was a better courtroom drama, I enjoyed Jack Nickelson's performance)
5. My Big Fat Greek Wedding ( ok, I know sappy, romantic comedy... but I never laughed so much in my life.
6. Casablanca ( oooh, black & white movies Bogie & Bergman... enough said! )
7. The Man Who Knew Too Much (Alfred Hitchcock was a genious!!! 8. Rear Window (another Hitchcock film... always watched these with mom)
9. Titanic ( before I ever saw this film my grandfather had taught me everything there was to know about the sinking of the real titanic... he would've found too many flaws in this film , but I enjoyed it anyway.)
10. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (this is a must see for anyone who must endure a house full of crazy relatives during the holidays... laugh 'til you cry)

Honorable Mentions:
11. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (a remarkable performance by my mom's favorite actor Jimmy Stewart)
12. Cat On a Hot Tin Roof ( the chemistry between Paul Newman & Elizabeth Taylor... outstanding)
13. American Graffitti ( cool cars and an awesome soundtrack)

To all the Steven Spielberg & George Lucas fans...sorry I didn't include any of your movies on my list.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow you have some great flics in there..The Godfather of course of course is the E Ching of Moviedom Zman sends

K teacher said...

After much thought, I can't believe that I left Goodfellas off the list... ooopps!

Anonymous said...

our taste in film is kind of close..my favorite old school sappy movie is an affair to remember ..Zman sends

K teacher said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never seen that film...but I'll put it on my must see list.