Sunday, May 3, 2009

Petland




Every year in the Spring the kindergarten classes in my school get newts. They're slimey & they smell bad. Plus they're boring (students & teachers agree). This year I told the curriculum coach (person in charge of newt distribution) that our class would not be participating , instead I went to the local pet store and picked out a new class pet.

I picked a cute yellow teddy bear hamster. She only cost .99cents, but then we needed a cage, cedar shavings for the bedding, hamster food & dish, exercise wheel, water bottle and plastic ball for hamster to roll around on the floor. When the whole shopping experience was completed I had spent close to $45!!!!

I took the hamster to school last Wednesday & the kids fell in love with her immediately. One little boy brought her a carrot stick the next day. They actually try to be quiet when she's asleep.

On the second day of being a class mascot, the hamster "Lolita" bit the teacher & she had to go get a tetanus shot.

4 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

LOL!

That made me laugh out loud.

:-)

K teacher said...

Yes, there is a lot of of laughter in our profession. Being a mom & a teacher is never boring... if I don't laugh daily then something is wrong with me.

steve said...

Now I want a hamster...going to get one call him Frank...Zman sends

Heidi said...

Check out this article on classroom pets. Hamsters can be crabby during the day because that's when they like to sleep.

http://www.humanesocietyyouth.org/resources/classroom_pets.asp

Good luck!