Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Seussical Day



Yesterday we celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday in our kindergarten class. The kids made red & white striped hats & we made a graph of our favorite Dr. Seuss books. I was lucky to pick up the hat I'm wearing in the picture above at Target (just $2- what a buy!)

While the kids were making their graphs, I started thinking about my favorite books (by Dr. Seuss and other authors). When I got home last night I finally completed my top 10 list.... here it is!

1. Last of the Mohicans - what can I say, this is one of the greatest pieces of American literature.
2. The Godfather - family values at its best.
3. The Thorn Birds - the Australian outback, passion, family secrets & a naughty catholic priest.
4. The Count of Monte Cristo - revenge is a dish best served cold!
5. Green Eggs and Ham - message: don't be afraid to try new things.
6. To Kill a Mockingbird - another great work of American literature
7. The Very Hungry Caterpillar - great story with amazing illustrations.
8. A Time To Kill - justified homocide? what would you do if this happened to your child?
9. The Stand - no list would be complete without at least 1 Stephen King book.
10. Confessions of a Shopaholic - a kindred spirit? maybe!

I know a lot of these books have been made into movies, but they can't compare with the rich descriptive language of the printed word.... so go curl up with a great book!

2 comments:

steve said...

Dynamite list...little bit of everything in there...funny pic.....Seuss changed alot of things about modern literature..zman sends

K teacher said...

Yeah, I was starting to get sleepy when I posted & forgot to rotate the pic... too late now!