Thursday, February 7, 2008

Underpaid

Most of us are familiar with the Taylor Law, which prohibits public employees ( teachers included) from going on strike. This law makes sense because of the public safety issues that could arise. Recently I read an article from my union newspaper about a possible teacher's strike in Puerto Rico. There are approximately 32,000 public school teachers in P.R. ... they will lose 2 days pay for every day they are on strike.

The main reason for the possible strike is salary. Most people will say teachers only work 10 months a year & get tons of days off during the school year, but my colleagues in Puerto Rico are at a severe disadvantage. Most schools on the island are not air conditioned even though the average daily temperature hovers around 80 degrees all year long. Also the average starting salary for a first year teacher is only $18,000 (this is obscene for a college graduate!) It's hard to believe this is part of the U.S.

After reading the article about the Puerto Rican teachers, I feel really fortunate that I was able to get a job teaching in NY where teachers are compensated fairly well. Despite low salaries & poor working conditions these educators ( in P.R.) do an excellent job. I should know because I am a product of the Puerto Rican school system. (high school grad).

!Viva las maestras! Long live the teachers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, I for one am happy that you are teacher. Thanks for cards, they go along way to making me feel better..i will write a thank you letter to your class when i get a chance...ZMAN SENDS