Saturday, January 26, 2008

Eating in public

Yesterday was our monthly "Student of the Month" assembly at my school. Parents were invited to school for breakfast and to attend the ceremony in which one child from each class received a certificate for academic achievement & positive social interaction with peers.

I was seated in the 3rd row with my student & her dad. Ahead of us a woman in her mid to late twenties was sitting with a baby in her lap. When the ceremony was about to begin my principal came over & asked me to take pictures of the event using his digital camera. As was taking pictures I noticed some of my colleagues whispering & pointing in my direction. It seems they were concerned about the woman in the row in front of me who was breast feeding her baby without covering herself.

Anybody care to comment on this? I really don't understand all the controversy, but it seemed to be the hot topic at lunch on Friday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no children so I am indiffrent. Children need to feed I would think discretion in the manner in which she is feeding is important in that setting their are children about so....have to do it the right way..ZMANOWNER SENDS

Anonymous said...

Pop says You're serious?I laughed for a few minutes after I read this.That has got to be some school.Kids biting each other, and mothers openly breast feeding their babies.I imagine you must look forward to going to work.About the shop you took in school,I'll keep you in mind.I never know when I'm gonna need help
Love Pop

K teacher said...

I must admit going to work is never boring & sometimes there is actually learning taking place.

Anonymous said...

Mom says I see nothing wrong with breast feeding in public it is natural, but I do feel that the mother should cover up. Enjoy you paper work

Anonymous said...

As long as she covers up, I don't care. Hey, the kid has to eat.