Sunday, December 2, 2007

Retail Therapy

Yesterday was the first Saturday in more than a year that I had completely to myself. During the time that my mom was sick I was at her side almost every day after work and every weekend. This weekend however, John was at his dad's , Matt was working O.T., and mom has been gone more than 6 months. She & I spent many Saturday afternoons at the mall ..."helping the economy", was one of her favorite pastimes.

After doing my errands (bank, post office, gas station), I headed to the mall by myself. I wandered in & out of the stores aimlessly for an hour or two. All I had to show for my effort was 2 pairs of socks (boring) and 1 or 2 Christmas presents. I saw a pretty party dress in one the store displays but didn't bother to give it a second glance. If mom had been with me, she would have insisted that we go into the store and try on the dress. She was always so persistent... "try it on, get it for the Christmas party at work"( I can hear her voice as I write this) .... maybe I'll go back for the dress this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always follow your heart and do what you think is best That wasn't the dress for you there is a better one out there

Anonymous said...

Go back get the dress, Moms would want you too.

Anonymous said...

Pop says Liz while I'm a writer and almost never at a loss for words,there are times and situations that require the personal touch.This is one of them. For me to attempt to make you understand that mom isn't really gone takes up far too much time and space.I'll save that for when I see you, and I can tel you about experiences that I've had that convince me beyond a doubt of the immortality of the human soul and spirit.Meanwhile listen to that voice that is indeed your mom, and d go buy that dress.Thanks for coming to the Holiday party, and sorry about those damn pesky Girl scouts they mean well Love POp